How to Make Palmier, Elephant Ear Cookies
Palmier is a French pastry from the 1930s. It's delicate and shaped like a heart. It's incredibly easy and quick to make, especially when you have ready-made puff pastry. In case you can't find it in your area, you can check out the homemade puff pastry recipe on this channel. Let's make this delicious treat to go with your afternoon coffee.
- 10.6 oz Puff Pastry (300g)
- 1/3 cup Crystal Sugar 2.12 oz (60g)
- Defrost the puff pastry in the refrigerator for a few hours or at room temperature for 30-60 minutes until the pastry is tender but still slightly cool to the touch.
- Gently unroll the pastry, leaving the plastic underneath, and roll it out carefully to make it a bit thinner, about 0.08 inches (2mm) thick, and roll it out to increase about 2 inches (5 cm) in length.
- Sprinkle half of the sugar evenly over the whole pastry and press it lightly with a rolling pin so that it sticks.
- Flip the puff pastry onto the countertop using the plastic that was underneath.
- Remove the plastic.
- Place the remaining crystal sugar on the other side of the pastry and roll it again.
- Now, fold the pastry in half to find the center and make a mark.
- Fold the edge of the pastry about 1.2-1.6 inches (3-4 cm).
- Repeat the same process on the other side.
- Keep doing this until they come together in the center of the pastry.
- Fold one over the other.
- Wrap it in the plastic you removed from the pastry and freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- When the pastry is firmer, remove it from the freezer and trim the edges with a guillotine-like knife motion; it must be a smooth knife.
- Start cutting the palmier about 0.6 inches (1.5 cm) wide.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the cookies spaced out, as they will spread in the oven.
- Immediately put them in the preheated oven on the highest rack.
- Bake for about 18 minutes or until they start to be lightly golden brown. Don't let them brown too much, as there's a lot of sugar and they can burn.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and after from the parchment quickly.
- Place them on a rack to cool and become crispy.
- Notice that they should only lightly be golden brown on the bottom.
Valid to: 10 days if stored in a well-sealed container in a dry and airy place.